Serving Scottsdale, Phoenix, Gilbert, and Surrounding AZ Cities
Also known as abdominoplasty, a tummy tuck is a plastic surgery procedure that helps both men and women achieve a firmer, well-toned belly. Tummy tuck cosmetic procedures are especially popular with new mothers and women who have lost a significant amount of weight and thus have excessive/wrinkled belly skin. Dr. LaBarbera helps patients in Gilbert, Scottsdale, Phoenix, and other Arizona areas attain a more toned abdominal profile.
The most common reasons why patients require a tummy tuck include:
- Deterioration of skin elasticity as a result of aging
- Heredity conditions
- Major fluctuations in weight gain or loss
Dr. Jude LaBarbera performs abdominoplasty to help patients feel confident about themselves. This procedure may also benefit women who are unable to wear some outfits because they are conscious about a sagging belly.
Ideal candidates for a tummy tuck
You may be a good candidate for a tummy tuck if:
- You are in relatively great shape but are bothered by belly fat or abdominal skin that won’t respond to diet or exercise.
- You have stretched your abdominal muscles and skin through multiple pregnancies
- You want a younger and firmer looking stomach
- You have stomach skin that is sagging as a result of rapid weight loss or muscle loss
- You are irritated by the appearance of your stomach
Tummy tuck procedures are also commonly used to improve loss of skin elasticity, which frequently occurs with weight gain or loss. Use your consultation visit with Dr. Jude LaBarbera to ask all the important questions before you settle to move forward with the procedure.
dr.Jude LaBarbera’s surgical approach
As one of the highly skilled tummy tuck cosmetic surgeons in Arizona, Dr. Jude LaBarbera offers various surgical options to his patients.
1. Full tummy tuck – This is usually the best option for patients who want to flatten their abdomen above and below the belly button. The surgeon makes a horizontal incision between the hips, and around the belly button. The next step is to remove excess skin and tissue, then pull the remaining abdominal muscle and skin tightly over the belly. The surgeon will then reposition the belly button and close incisions with sutures.
Full tummy tucks may be the best option for healthy men and women who have extra-large midsection skin, or weakened abdominal muscles. A full tummy tuck procedure is performed under general anesthesia, and most patients need a recovery time of 2 – 4 weeks before resumption of normal activities.
2. Mini tummy tuck – A mini tummy tuck is less invasive than a full tummy tuck. This approach is usually the best option for patients who wish to address the abdominal area below the belly button. Many slender patients with a “belly pooch” (small lower abdomen bulge) receive a mini tummy tuck. The surgeon will create a small horizontal incision below the belly button, then extract excessive skin before tightening abdominal muscles and closing the incision. A mini tummy tuck is less invasive, thus repositioning of the belly button is not needed. Mini tummy tucks are usually performed under general anesthesia and patients typically just require 1 week in recovery before they can resume normal activities.
3. Extended tummy tuck – Also referred to as a circumferential lower body lift, this is the most invasive of all abdominoplasty procedures. This procedure will target the full abdomen, as well as the hips and lower back, and is generally a great option for individuals with overall good health who wish to totally reshape the upper body. The surgeon will create a horizontal incision stretching across the lower abdomen, and a vertical incision going through the belly button. Surplus tissues will be removed, and the remaining abdominal muscles tightened. The surgeon will then use liposuction to get rid of excess fat in the lower back and hip regions. The final step is to reposition the belly button and then close the incision. Patients usually need 3-4 weeks in recovery before they can resume normal activities after an extended tummy tuck.
Contact Form: TUMMY TUCK
MORE BODY PROCEDURES
VIEW OUR BEFORE & AFTER PHOTOS
A tummy tuck is an outpatient cosmetic procedure that is performed under general anesthesia. In some cases (depending on the complexity of the treatment) overnight stay may be required. Like any other surgery, tummy tucks come with various risks. That’s why it’s very important for patients to comprehensively discuss the procedure with their selected cosmetic surgeon. During your in-person consultation, Dr. LaBarbera will ask questions about your medical history. This helps set the path for a smooth operation, with minimal risk of complications.
Patients need to rest within the first 48 hours after the surgery. The surgeon will provide pain medications to resolve any discomfort during the first few days post-surgery. A compression garment will also be provided to offer extra protection. After the first two days, (48 hours) patients are encouraged to move around in order to ensure proper blood circulation and reduce the risk of complications such as blood clotting. Full recovery after an abdominoplasty may require up to 6 weeks.
Planning your procedure
The cost of a tummy tuck will vary from one patient to the other – depending on factors such as the technique used. On average though, the procedure costs anywhere between $7,000 and $12, 500. Typically, insurance does not cover the cost of abdominoplasty.
Dr. Jude LaBarbera performs tummy tuck surgery in his ultra-modern operating room, supported by a team of highly professional and licensed staff.
TUMMY TUCK REVIEWS
“Dr. LaBarbera went over any beyond what I ever could have expected. He performed the Fleur De Lis Tummy Tuck on me and not only was his work impeccable, but also his professionalism and bedside manner.” – H.H.
“I have wanted to have a tummy tuck for years! After an exhaustive search I choose Dr. LaBarbera to do my surgery. Since I was 2 hours from the clinic I choose to do a virtual consultation. It was so convenient and easy to do! – T.C.
“I was his last surgery in Alabama before moving to Arizona and I promise if I decide to have any other surgeries I will be on a plane to Arizona for him to do my surgery. – A.P.
Tummy tuck FAQs
Liposuction or tummy tuck?
How bad is the scarring?
Since incisions are required, scars are inevitable after tummy tuck surgery. Dr. Jude LaBarbera uses his immense experience to minimize scarring. In some cases, incisions will be placed in areas that can be concealed by undergarments. Dr. LaBarbera also encourages patients to practice his post-surgery scar treatment plan that can help make scars less visible.
Can I get pregnant after a tummy tuck?
Women who plan to have more children are advised to delay the tummy tuck procedure. This is because stretching of the skin during a future pregnancy may water down the positive outcomes of this cosmetic procedure.
CONTACT DR. LABARBERA FOR YOUR TUMMY TUCK PROCEDURE